Comprehensive Plan...Click to Download
TOWN OF PULTENEY
GOALS AND POLICY STATEMENTS
The Town of Pulteney located in the Finger Lakes Region of Central New York encompasses approximately 33.2 square miles of land. Pulteney is basically a rural area; family residences, recreation, small business, and agriculture are the major land use activities. Year round population is approximately one thousand two hundred and eighty five (2010 census) year round residents but the population expands significantly in the summer and fall months due to the tourism nature of the area.
To support growth of agricultural and commercial development of our economic, cultural and social needs, while preserving the quality and character of life enjoyed here by our residents and visitors.
General Community Plan Premises
· Encourage and shape balanced growth within Pulteney, thereby insuring an
attractive, healthy sustainable community for future generations.
· Use Site Plan Review and Subdivision Law Regulations to further policies and
· Priority will be given to providing public services (water and sewer) for future
development when the need is established.
· Support the continued use of actively farmed land.
· Promote accessible, neighborhood and community serving goods and services in
the Town of Pulteney.
· The enactment of Federal, State, and grant funds to carry out Town projects required by existing development.
· Encourage resident health and welfare through maintenance and provision
of a wide variety of ways that people can gain access to and use the outdoors.
· Protection of ground water quality and safe water supplies shall continue to be a
priority of the Town.
· Improve the condition of the environment and protect it from degradation.
· Protect the public’s health, safety and general welfare through regulation of
private wells and private sewage disposal systems.
Policies and Strategies
The following 6 items have been identified for consideration under the Pulteney Comprehensive Plan.
Farm Land and Open Space
1. Natural Resources:
Policy: Residents, businesses and community leaders will work with the Town to ensure that key environmental areas such as wetlands, floodplains, steep slopes, wood lots and water bodies are identified and conserved to the extent practical. (The Town will encourage and enforce sound development practices, proper zoning guidelines and community stewardship to reduce or eliminate the degradation of these resources.)
· Meet the requirements of the state environmental and quality review act.
· Encourage and maintain land use programs to protect the greatest extent feasible
the defined ecologically significant environmental areas.
· Work with other municipalities, public agencies and private landowners to
identify and protect wildlife corridors and habitat.
· Encourage and maintain a program to protect unique scenic resources.
· Focus development in ways that minimize the use of water and energy.
· Require an environmental study on all land to be donated or purchased by the Town as part of any subdivision or site plan approval.
· Encourage a Watershed Management Plan that encompasses storm
water management, stream corridor management and control of soil erosion
2. Farm Land And Open Space
Policy: Pulteney will strive to conserve our rural heritage and to protect our active
farmland and valuable open space.
· Support efforts by State and County agencies to foster agricultural growth as elements of the regional economic development program.
· Encourage landowners in established agricultural district areas to participate in the State’s Agricultural Districting Program.
· Support tax abatement programs that would encourage property owners to keep land in agricultural use and to preserve and protect open space and conserve natural resources.
· Support agricultural practices, which minimize contamination of the environment, soil, erosion, and surface water runoff.
· Support agricultural and viticulture related business and promote their presence and availability throughout the town and surrounding region. Encourage participation in local farmer’s markets.
· Encourage events, activities and enterprises that support the local farming community and continue Pulteney’s rural tradition.
· Encourage farmers to participate in local and regional agricultural organizations.
· Encourage landowners to seek information about private land conservation techniques (e.g. conservation easements and land conservancies).
3. Residential Living:
Policy: Pulteney will strive to ensure that we offer a wide range of residential opportunities to its residents.
· Ensure strict adherence of building, housing and zoning codes through adequate
administrative capacity to carry out the regulatory functions.
· Provide for ongoing in-service training of staff and lay boards responsible
for code enforcement and appeals review.
· Explore feasibility of walkways on developed areas.
· Consider use of cluster development, where development at higher densities
would be permitted in cases where significant amounts of open space or viable
agricultural lands are preserved.
· Promote residential development at densities consistent with existing and future
· Continue the exploration and improvement of public spaces (e.g. roads,
landscaped areas, open spaces, parks, etc.) within residential areas.
· Preserve and expand the wide range of housing options available in the town.
· Ensure that all residential development meets all town, state, county, slopes, streams, highly erodible soils and lake front areas.
4. Local Commerce:
Policy: The Town will encourage commercial, retail and small-scale industrial development which complements the community’s small town, rural character and does not compromise productive farmland and open spaces.
· Encourage business development opportunities related to the natural and cultural resources located in the community.
· Consider, maintain, and enhance, the public infrastructure necessary to sustain the desired level of development within the town.
Policy: Pulteney will strive to encourage tourism activities that celebrate the Town’s
natural resources, scenic beauty and rich history, making Pulteney an attractive
· Encourage expansion of tourism-related services and retail within the town.
· Support partnerships with local, county and regional partners.
5. Community Resources
Policy: Pulteney will strive to have community resources that meet the needs of residents
and visitors, as well as support local businesses. The Town will promote the
community’s historical, natural, and cultural resources.
· Promote awareness of the town’s cultural and historic attractions and assets.
· Promote community resources, tourism sites as well as overviews of the town’s history, attractions and natural resources.
· Preserve open spaces and promote recreational facilities and programs to meet the needs of the community.